Maserati “Mexico 4700”, Vignale, 1971.
Maserati introduced at the 1965 Turin Motor Show a new 2+2, named 5000 GT, whose elegant body had been designed and built by Carrozzeria Vignale in Turin. The new model offered four real seats to those who were looking for a sports car with comfort and habitability.
In 1966 the production of the series car, named Mexico, with both the 4.2-liter and 4.7-liter engine.
The Mexico engine was derived, just like the 5000 GT’s (made in just 33 examples between 1959 and 1964) and the Quattroporte’s (introduced at the 1963 Turin Motor Show), from the 4.5-liter V8 unit previously fitted to the 450 S, the most powerful sports car ever produced by the Trident firm and did not win the 1957 World Makes Championship because of an incredible series of negative circumstances.
The name Mexico derived from the Cooper T81 that won the 1966 F1 Mexican Grand Prix with a Maserati engine under the hood.