Scott “3 3/4 HP”, 1914, England
Despite the first studies on 2-stroke engines were done by Dugald Clerk and Karl Benz, the first real application of a 2-stroke engine was made by Alfred Angas Scott.
The inventor started building engines in 1900, but the Scott Engineering Company will be founded later, in 1909, to produce motorcycles powered with his own engines.
Scott left the company in 1915, but the models that came after followed the projects he developed.
Scott was the first brand to compete in the Tourist Trophy with a 2-stroke bike in 1910.
In 1930 the company was not running good and a Scott enthusiast called Albert Reynolds, bought some bikes from production and sold them first as Aero Scott and later as Reynolds Special. The company will close definitively in 1969.
The Scott displayed at the museum is powered by a 2-stroke twin-cylinder engine that shows a technical refinement: water cooling, as it can be easily recognizable by the large radiator.