Farina, 4 baquets chassis
Giovanni Farina started working in 1896, when he was only twelve, in the body shop of Marcello Alessio in Turin; in 1906 he decided to work by himself and gave birth to one of the most important Italian coachbuilder workshops that remained active until 1951. Even today the bodies produced by the Stabilimenti Farina are appreciated by the enthusiasts all over the world.
Battista “Pinin” Farina, his younger brother, became one of the most famous coachbuilder in the world too. After working in his brother’s shop, he decided to work by himself in 1930, founding the Carrozzeria Pinin Farina.
The body shown in the Museum, with the typical “baquets” seats of the period, could be one of the first creations of this glorious family of coachbuilders and comes from the first years of activity of Giovanni Farina, when the workshop was still in Via Canova in Turin.
Certainly designed for a car chassis and not a horse carriage, it shows a perfect state of conservation which allow us to admire the art of Italian coachbuilders in the early 1900s.
It still carries the plate: “Farina & Co. Carrozzeria Moderna Torino – Via Esposizione angolo via Canova”.