Bugatti "type 49", 1931
Ettore Bugatti was born in Milan in 1881 and since his childhood, he had a strong inclination for mechanics, he especially demonstrated to be able to join functionality and aesthetics.
After modifying a “Prinetti & Stucchi” tricycle by fitting it with two engines, he designed his first car when he was only 18 in 1899: from that moment on he started to become part of the international automobile history.
The “Type 49” was introduced at the 1930 Paris Motor Show; it is considered the last Bugatti designed by Ettore, who later left the company to his son Jean.
Replacing the Type 44, the car has a single overhead camshaft engine, three valves per cylinder and twin spark ignition.
The beautiful aluminium wheels have incorporated drum brakes . The Type 49 is the classic Bugatti touring car and it was fitted with several types of bodies (sedan, convertible, coupé) either built by Bugatti or by famous bodybuilders of those days.
The car shown in the museum was driven by the famous French driver Louis Chiron during the 1964 International Rally in Chioggia. It was also used in the 1965 movie Grand Prix
- 2014, the car won the 1st prize at the Concorso di Eleganza “Verona Legend Cars“.
- 2015, the car won the Best in Show prize at the International Concours d'Elegance “Poltu Quatu Classic”
- 2016, Garda Classic Car Show, Bardolino.
- 2017, Shooting, Oldtimer MARKT, Bugatti.
- 2018, Mostra Passione Volante, Bugatti.
- 2018 Poste Italiane chose Bugatti Tipo 49 of Museo Nicolis for a philatelic postcard.