Ansaldo “Tipo 22”, 1930
This is the most prestigious model built by Ansaldo.
The “Tipo 22”, rare and refined car, has a modern chassis fitted with an engine able to guarantee brilliant performances even with the monumental bodies of the time. Unfortunately the production started during a period of international crisis, so it didn’t earn enough commercial success to solve the financial problems of the company.
The car shown in the museum covered just 3.000 km from new, and still has the original leather interior.
The original log book (that can be seen in the showcase near the car) proves just one change in ownership. The first owner was Nicola Frugone, a wealthy and well-known man of the Ligurian Riviera.
In the passenger compartment, the vanity case has silver accessories and there is also a refined petrol lighter bearing the Ansaldo badge. The peculiar original rubber running boards to clean your shoes before getting inside. The gear lever is rather singular too: it has a lock with a special security key, one of the first car antitheft devices.
Luciano Nicolis used to say: “This Ansaldo was bought by a well-known wealthy character from Liguria, who lived in Chiavari. He didn’t drive it much because he had to leave for the United States and left the car in his castle. It was basically new when I’ve found it! The plate is original too”.
- In 1985, May 18th/19th the car participates to the 2nd Città di Feltre Concours D’Elegance
- In November 1986, the Ansaldo tipo 22 was chosen by Archivio Storico Ansaldo to be exhibited in Genova during the visit of the head of state Francesco Cossiga.
- In 1986 the Ansaldo was exhibited at the 1st Vicenza Car Show
- In 1992 shooting for Auto Exclusiv
- In 1995 the car was exhibited in Villafranca during the visit of Romano Prodi that soon after became Prime Minister.
- In 1999, driven by Luciano Nicolis, the car paticipates to Villa d’Este Concours D’Elegance and won the 1st class prize and the 5th overall prize.
- In the 90s shooting for the article “History of Ansaldo – From cannons to luxury” written by Angelo Tito Anselmi, photo by Alberto Martinez
- In 2004 the car participates to Old Time Show in Forlì