Alfa Romeo “RL” – 1923
The RL was designed in 1920 according to the new “3000” formula for international races due to come into force in 1921. Produced in seven series, four racing and formal models until 1927, the car collected many racing triumphs, as the 1923 Targa Florio with a RL Targa Florio driven by Ugo Sivocci.
The car shown in the museum has the Alfa Romeo badge without the laurel crown, which was added only after the firm won the 1925 GP cars World Championship. This car was sold as a rolling chassis (as usual for the important cars in those days) to Australia, where it was fitted with a tourer body built by Martin King Coachbuilder in Melbourne. Its manual windscreen wiper is controlled from the cockpit; the horn is electric, but the car is fitted with also a manual operating trumpet as often the batteries had insufficient range. The rear mirror is placed at the rear of the headlamp, on the chauffeur’s right side.