The Williams n.4 is a typewriter made by Williams Typewriter Company of Derby (Connecticut), founded by John Newton Williams.
The model n.4 was produced from 1899 to 1904.
An innovative detail of this typewriter is the 4-row keyboard with single moving mechanism; the previous models had 3-row keyboards.
Most of the typewriters at the time had a “blind” writing mechanism, which means the writer had to raise the bar to see the work. Williams however had visible typing and a so-called “grasshopper” printing mechanism.