Ansaldo “ 4/CS ” – 1924
The Ansaldo Automobili, a branch of S.A. Gio. Ansaldo in Genova, was founded in 1918 and kept the activity with different names until 1945.
The 4 CS is the sports version of the 4 series, presented in 1919, and gave a significant contribute to build the success of Ansaldo as a sports car manufacturer.
The car shown in the museum was purchased when new by Ettore Mayr, Ansaldo’s Trentino area dealer: his car had to be, as a demo model, faster than the series production cars. Mayr, after visiting the factory to select his car, confessed his sports leanings and so had the cylinder head slightly tuned to add a few more horsepower to his 4/CS. The modification, together with the standard 3-speed close ratios gearbox, allowed him to cover the flying kilometre (specially measured by the Automobile Club of Trento) at 119 kph and to obtain several race triumphs, such as the overall win at the 1924 Trento-Bondone hill climb race.