Lancia, 1928, Lambda VIII° serie

Lancia “Lambda VIII serie” – 1928

Lambda is the Vincenzo Lancia masterpiece: first mass produced monocoque car, it is a futuristic car which quickened the research and was, thanks to its technical innovations, the precursor of the modern cars. Produced for 9 years, from February 1923 to September 1931, in 9 series for a total of about 13,000 examples, it marked, as a few other cars, the automobile history: if the Ford T and the Volkswagen Beatle motorized the world and the Austin Mini was the precursor of the modern popular cars, Lambda showed the future, the way to be followed by all the other car manufacturers in the world. It seems that the revolutionary idea was of Vincenzo Lancia himself, who got inspired by the constructive specification of the boats. The concept of the separate chassis, with the body fitted to it, was overcome even if it disappeared only in the 1950s. Another specification of the car, as much revolutionary at that time for a production car, was the telescopic front suspension with independent wheels and hydraulic shock absorbers, a design of the ingenious designer Falchetto. The car shown in the museum was rediscovered in Liberia. On the left side it is fitted with an unusual luminous front arrow and on the right side with an original adjustable headlight which has a mirror on the rear. The radiator cap has a water temperature gauge and the dump registration plate hides the old-fashioned starting handle.

Vehicle
Marque: Lancia
Model: Lambda
Cylinder number / Capacity: 4/2569 cc
Power: 65 bhp at 3500 rpm
Speed: 120 kph
Weight: 1400 kg
Length: 4990 cm
Width: 1720 cm
Height: 1750 cm
Period of production: 1928 - 1931
Bodywork:
Marque: Lancia
Type: Torpedo
Sponsor
Friends of the Museum