Sponsor
Friends of the Museum

Lancia, 1938, Astura MM

Lancia “Astura spider” 1937

Although it was created to be the Lancia luxurious flagship car, the Astura was often raced by private drivers.
The car shown in the museum was prepared in 1939 by Carrozzeria Colli, by order of the Milanese Scuderia Ambrosiana, for one of the Scuderia top drivers: Luigi Villoresi.

The car, whose engine gave 110 bhp compared with 82 bhp of the series version thanks to an experimental hemispheric cylinder head similar to the one of the new Aprilia, was entered to the Mille Miglia, but unfortunately Gigi Villoresi had a road accident during the running in of the car and so he could not participate in the race.

In the post-war years, this car was raced by several Italian drivers, among whom Franco Cortese who gained the highest success, before being sold to the English drivers John Gordon and David Lewis who drove it at the 1949 Mille Miglia.

Ended its race career, the car was used for much less noble actions: the smuggling of precious watches from Switzerland to Italy. Seized by the Swiss police, for many years the Astura remained forgotten in a warehouse, where it was rediscovered by Luciano Nicolis who brought it to Italy and had it restored in order to proudly use it at the most prestigious classic car events.

Vehicle
Marque: Lancia
Model: Astura IV serie
Cylinder number / Capacity: 8 a V/2972 cc
Power: 110 bhp
Weight: 1200 kg
Length: 4600 cm
Width: 1560 cm
Height: 1200 cm
Period of production: 1934 - 1937 (III e IV serie)
Bodywork:
Marque: Carrozzeria Colli
Type: Sport 2 posti