Both the first and second Aprilia series were produced with different wheelbase chassis in order to be fitted with different types of bodies or be sold as rolling chassis for the independent bodybuilders. All the most important Italian bodybuilders (Bertone, Touring, Vignale, Pinin Farina to name a few) created beautiful bodies for the Aprilia, which sometimes looked like a small Astura.
In the 1930s, the showy and luxurious American style had influenced all the Italian and European bodybuilders, who after the war came back to a more linear elegance represented by the “pontoon fender” bodies, which integrated the fenders in the car line eliminating the deep modelling that had marked the previous style. The car on show in the museum was designed by Pinin Farina on a Type 439 long chassis. From this creation you can notice the evolution of the style with the headlights becoming a part of the front end and the disappearing side footboard. The natural evolution of this style would later lead to the creation of the Aurelia.
The Aprilia was a beloved and appreciated successful car, its production was stopped in 1949.