Cadillac “Eldorado Convertible” – 1971
Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac was a French army officer who founded the city of Detroit in 1701. About two centuries later, in 1902 William Murphy and Henry Leland founded their car company in Detroit, already the American capital of the automobile industry, and decided to name it after the noble man founder of the city. Soon from the beginning the Cadillacs drew the attention for their construction quality and in 1909 the firm was taken over by the growing General Motors and it became, and it is still now, their luxury branch. The Eldorado surely was the Cadillac model that contributed the most to maintain a high image of the firm in the later post-war period. Introduced in 1953 in the convertible version for which is known all over the world, the Eldorado was later produced also in the coupe version and, for a short period of time, four-door sedan.
The car shown in the Museum is from the second series with front wheel drive, and represents the last Eldorado generation with the big capacity and powerful engines that, starting from 1972, would be considerably reduced.