Bugatti “type 49” – 1931
Ettore Bugatti was born in Milan in 1881 and he had, since his childhood, a strong inclination for mechanics, he especially demonstrated to be able to join functionality and aesthetics.
After modifying a “Prinetti & Stucchi” tricycle by fitting it with two engines, at the age of 18 in 1899 he designed his first car: since then on he became part of the international automobile history.
The “Type 49” was introduced at the 1930 Paris Motor Show; it is considered the last Bugatti designed by Ettore, who left the control of the company to his son Jean.
It is the heir of Type 44 and still has the single overhead camshaft engine, three valves per cylinder and double ignition. The nice aluminium wheels have incorporated drum brakes .
The Type 49 is the classic touring model of Bugatti and it was fitted with several types of bodies (saloon, convertible, coupé) either built by Bugatti or by famous bodybuilders of those days.
The car shown in the museum was driven by the famous French driver Luis Chiron during the 1964 International Rally in Chioggia.